Whenever I travel, I carry my journal with me to take notes of those little, but important, interesting, unique and fun things that really catch my eye while visiting a new place. Montreal, Canada is an inviting city and being fortunate to stay in the downtown district allowed me to walk to many places and explore.
There is so much to see and do in Montreal. Tasting the local foods, visiting a museum, church, shopping, sightseeing, talking to the locals, and experiencing the culture are among the things to do in the city. Everywhere I looked, I was captivated by this lively French Canadian City!
To fully understand and appreciate the place you are visiting, you have to be able to be open yourself to possibilities as well as know that there may be disappointments along your journey. While my stay in Montreal was only for a couple of days, I can happily say it did not disappoint me!
Here are 15 Reasons Why I Love this city.
1. Vibrant and decorative Shops. This one has a small outdoor seating area.
2. Local Food. Poutine – Quebec dish made with french fries topped with gravy like sauce and cheese curds.
3. Decorative Balconies. Many people hang plants and flowers on balconies.
4. Local Markets. Lots of local markets to shop around at. I was able to pick up a few hand made souvenirs!
5. Quaint Streets. Most are lined by trees that make a natural canopy in certain spots.
6. Fashion. Retail stores from famous brands and designers lined Rue Saint-Catherine.
7. Pretty Flowers. Liven up this beautiful city during the summer.
8. Notre-Dame Basilica – A Must See when visiting the city!
9. Place Jacques-Cartier Square – Scenic plaza with street vendors and cafes in Old Montreal.
10.Cathedral Marie-Reine-du-Monde – A beautiful replica of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome!
11. Picturesque Outside Seating – Quaint and romantic. Cafes all over the city provide outdoor seating during the summer.
12. Inviting Outside Cafes. Cafes are located are all over the city. Each to it’s unique style and decor.
13. Bixi Bikes. These are everywhere and a cheap, convenient way to get around.
14. Street side Musicians – Walking and exploring the city, I saw street side musicians entertaining the public.
15. Art – Buildings become canvases for artists in Montreal during the summer.
Have you been to Montreal? What did you love about this great city?
For more information check out http://www.tourisme-montreal.org
Happy Travels ~ Ruthie
[contact-form subject='[Ruthie%26#039;s Routes’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]